01494434544 info@pwwpl.com

Paper driving licence changes

1st December 2014

From January 2015, the DVLA will no longer issue the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence. The move, which is part of the government’s Red Tape Challenge consultation on road transportation, will mean new procedures are required to check an individual’s eligibility to drive. While individuals will be able to see the information currently shown on the paper counterpart through the View Driving Record Service, the DVLA is developing a service for organisations such as employers and motor traders to check a driver’s entitlement to drive.

This service, Share My Driving Record, will provide third parties with access to the basic information that was held on the paper counterpart to help them determine eligibility to drive.

The DVLA has stated that the service will be free - at least initially - as it replicates the information they would have been able to see on the paper counterpart. It will also be necessary to gain consent from the driver before checking their record, in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.

It’s also important to note that some paper licences will still be in circulation. Although many drivers will be able to rip up their paper licences in January 2015, any issued before photocards were introduced in 1998 will remain valid.

 FSB member logo   Link to Cobra Network website        Click here for the BIBA website

P W White & Partners Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No: 126673 http://www.fca.org.uk/register.

P W White & Partners Limited Registered Address: Suite 1, Sycamore House, 1 Woodside Road, Amersham, HP6 6AA. Registered in England & Wales, No. 933961.

Neither P W White & Partners Limited nor its representatives can be held responsible for the accuracy of the contents/information contained within the linked site(s) accessible from this page.

The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate National Savings or some forms of mortgage, tax planning, taxation and trust advice, offshore investments or school fees planning.

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is an agency for arbitrating on unresolved complaints between regulated firms and their clients. Full details of the FOS can be found on its website at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.

The information contained within this site is subject to the UK regulatory regime and is therefore targeted primarily at consumers based in the UK.

Please read our Privacy Statement before completing any enquiry form or before sending an email to us.