01494434544 info@pwwpl.com

Important information that could affect the validity of your cover

1st October 2013

If you are in doubt, please telephone us to discuss:

Any intended alteration or extension to your property – personal or commercial, i.e. creating an additional bedroom, bathroom or shower room

Insurers will need to know the type of work being completed, if it is structural work, the start and finish date and the contract value. Whilst some policies can accommodate work up to circa £20,000 to allow for basic alterations, not all policies do this automatically and works will often require a schedule of works questionnaire to be completed with the details of the builder, any JCT cover in place etc. Insurers consider a risk with works as a greater risk for example the property may have scaffolding proving easier access to upper floors or the property may not be as secure. If in doubt please check with us.

Details of any trees over 7 metres high and within 5 metres of the property

Insurers will need to know the type height and distance of trees that fit the above description as the roots of the tree can cause subsidence or heave and if the above tree has not been disclosed to Insurers a claim might not be paid. Please note this applies to trees on neighbouring land also – not just on your own land.

Change of address

Insurers rate the risk in part on the location of the risk right down to the individual post code and will take into account the crime rate, flood risk, subsidence risk etc.

Change of occupation

Your occupation can affect the rate charged by insurers, with some insurers allowing discounts for certain occupations, whilst others might mean an insurer will wish the cover to be moved to a more specialist insurer (as an example those in the entertainment industry)

Any criminal conviction other than motoring offences

Whilst most clients are aware that any speeding convictions must be notified to a motoring insurer, other convictions including CCJs  (County Court Judgments) and  bankruptcy must be notified to Insurers as they may put in place special terms or require the cover to be put with a specialist Insurer.

Anyone, other than a member of your family, coming to live with you

A normal household policy will insure you and your family living at home. If your home is to become let to tenants or shared with lodgers you must notify insurers immediately as this again affects the risk and covers that might be allowed.

If you are leaving the home unoccupied for more than 30 days in a row (ie holidays or if vacant)

Some insurers allow 60 days cover but to be sure please let us know if a property is to be unoccupied for over 30 days as otherwise Insurers may restrict cover severely. With insurers agreement pending the circumstances a wider cover may be allowed or we may suggest moving the cover to a specialist provider.

Use of the home for business or professional purposes.

If the home is used for business purposes, please let us have details of the type of work carried out – ie whether others visit the premises or are you just working from home alone?

 FSB member logo   Link to Cobra Network website        Click here for the BIBA website

P W White & Partners Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No: 126673 http://www.fca.org.uk/register.

P W White & Partners Limited Registered Address: Suite 1, Sycamore House, 1 Woodside Road, Amersham, HP6 6AA. Registered in England & Wales, No. 933961.

Neither P W White & Partners Limited nor its representatives can be held responsible for the accuracy of the contents/information contained within the linked site(s) accessible from this page.

The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate National Savings or some forms of mortgage, tax planning, taxation and trust advice, offshore investments or school fees planning.

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is an agency for arbitrating on unresolved complaints between regulated firms and their clients. Full details of the FOS can be found on its website at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.

The information contained within this site is subject to the UK regulatory regime and is therefore targeted primarily at consumers based in the UK.

Please read our Privacy Statement before completing any enquiry form or before sending an email to us.